Plunkett Research Online This link opens in a new window
Use Plunkett Research Online to research businesses and industries, particularly when completing SWOT analyses or environmental scans. It contains information often used in business reports, market research, business development, and strategic planning.
- On the homepage, either:
- select RESEARCH AN INDUSTRY and
- Select a Major Industry Group
- Find Your Exact Industry
- Enter NAIC Industry Code: 722513
- Or from the homepage, choose:
Or, Select a Major Industry Group: (e.g. Banking, Computers, Retail, etc.)
Use the drop-down menu to choose Food & Beverage
From the resulting page will be options for the following industry information:
- Market Research and Trends
- Companies & Executives
- Industry Associations
Next, from the Industry Sector drop-down menu, click Industry Analytics and select 722513 Restaurants, Fast-Food, Pizza Delivery and Take-Out and Family
Go to Next, Select the Type of Data: for the following options:
- Industry Summary
- Employment and Establishments
- Industry Description
Gale Business: Insights This link opens in a new window
Use Gale Business: Insights when researching companies and industries. It offers comprehensive business intelligence, including company reports, financials, SWOT analysis, industry and market share reports, and case studies.
Market Share Reports
- On the homepage, navigate to the tabs above the search box, and select the Industries drop-down menu tab.
- Choose Market Share Reports
Market Share Reports provide full-text reports showing various company rankings within their industry and market share. The results are listed in chronological order with the most recent reports added at the top of the list.
- On the left sidebar of the result page will be options to Search Within Results and limit by related business topics and industries (once you run a search).
- In the Search Within Results box, add the term “top makers” (include quotation marks) to obtain records that list major companies in that industry.
- Navigate to the tabs at the top of the page, select the Industries tab drop-down menu, and choose Industry Essays
These reports offer an industry snapshot and typically include a section called Industry Leaders
Once a list of leading companies in the fast casual dining industry is compiled, use those companies to get a complete report.
To retrieve a list of companies operating under the limited-service industry code:
- Navigate to the tabs at the top of the page, select the Companies tab drop-down menu, and choose Company Finder
- On the left-side of the page, click NAICS
- Enter the NAICS for fast casual dining in the search box:
Limited-Service Restaurants - 722513
This U.S. industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in providing food services (except snack and nonalcoholic beverage bars) where patrons generally order or select items and pay before eating. Food and drink may be consumed on premises, taken out, or delivered to the customer's location. Some establishments in this industry may provide these food services in combination with selling alcoholic beverages.
- Delicatessen restaurants
- Pizza delivery shops
- Family restaurants, limited-service
- Takeout eating places
- Fast-food restaurants
- Fast casual restaurants
- Takeout sandwich shops
- Limited-service pizza parlors
Business Source Complete This link opens in a new window
Use Business Source Complete to research a range of business content, including case studies, industry profiles, SWOT analyses, market research, product reviews, books, and peer-reviewed business journals. It covers many business topics, including marketing, management, accounting, banking, and finance.
- On the homepage, click the Industry Profiles link that is below the search box.
- Select the Industry tab.
- Next, either:
- Choose from the alphabetical listing.
- Or, enter a keyword in the Browse for search box.
- Once a report is selected, there is usually a section for Leading Companies. This is where information on the major companies in the industry is found. There is also typically a heading called Competitive Landscape that includes a section, Who are the leading players?.
- On the homepage, use the search box to search generally for an industry and include the search term “market share” (include the quotes). For example:
("fast casual” OR “fast casual restaurant”) AND "market share"
This type of search will return results for trade publications, news articles, and more.
- On the homepage, click the Company Information link.
- Enter the NAICS in the appropriate field: 722513